It is time to take you on a virtual trip once again! We’ve done this several times in the past for many different reasons: we love Israel, we know some of you are not currently in the Land of Milk and Honey, and also because there are places within the StartUp Nation with a story that deserves to be told.
So now we are going to take this opportunity to talk about the amazing city of Mitzpe Ramon, in the south of Israel, which is very close to the big city of Be’er Sheva we wrote about not so long ago.
There are many cool facts about this tiny city we want to share with you. But before we jump in, we would like to recommend a trip to this location from the bottom of our hearts. It is one of the most magical, energetic, and beautiful places in Israel and its residents are always happy to receive new visitors from all over the globe.
Mitzpe Ramon: Way more than just a crater
Even though this lovely city is widely known because of the “Crater Ramon”, there are numerous other facts about it that we would love to share with you. First of all, we want to tell you the story of the famous “crater”.
The Makhtesh Ramon is a geological failure of the Negev (Israeli desert). This crater was formed in a much simpler way than the one you might be thinking about, it wasn’t because of a meteor, aliens, or volcanic eruption. Instead, it is the world’s largest “erosion cirque”.
So, are you now ready to read a few interesting facts about both the city and the crater? You might be surprised!
1. Mitzpe Ramon was built in 1951, as a camp for workers who were building a highway.
2. The weather in the area is very harsh. During summer it gets very hot, and during winter temperatures go down offering its citizens a very cold season.
3. It is one of the best places to contemplate the stars. Hundreds of thousands of people go to Mitzpe Ramon every year to watch both the stars and also some outstanding meteor showers. Some people even compare this spot to the stargazing you can do in the Atacama Desert, in Chile.
4. Mitzpe Ramon has one of the best wellness and mindfulness centers in Israel. The Hostel Me’ever receives thousands of people searching for the meaning of life, throughout the entire year. In that same spot, yoga and meditation festivals are held ongoing.
5. The Hotel Beresheet, considered one of the most luxurious hotels in the world, is located in the heart of Mitzpe Ramon. With views of the desert, it offers a unique gastronomic experience and outstanding rooms, services and facilities. We’ve heard of numerous celebrities from all over the world going there to spend a few days!
6. It is not strange at all to see both desert deers and mountain goats in the middle of the street in Mitzpe Ramon. Most of them are friendly and are used to seeing people walking around. In any case, you have to take care, not to bother them. These animals were there before the city had any citizens, therefore, the area belongs more to them than to ourselves.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Learn Hebrew slang, take a virtual tour across Israel, discover the best local food and so much more
7. At the beginning of the sixties, hundreds of immigrants from India, North Africa and Romania joined other people who arrived in Mitzpe Ramon from the kibbutz Re’im and other places in Israel.
8. Mitzpe Ramon has one of the most amazing Jazz Clubs in Israel! It hosts music ensembles on the weekends, and during the day it serves as a music school for both kids and adults. It is located next to the artist’s quarter of the city and is surrounded by bars and small restaurants.
9. One of the biggest advertising agencies in the world opened an office in the desert, and encouraged workers with interesting benefits, to move to Mitzpe Ramon in order to work in that new office. That initiative brought hundreds of new young families to the city!
10. The municipality launched a very memorable song about Mitzpe Ramon to convince people to both visit and come to live in this amazing, lovable, enchanting place. In the video, you’ll also see a few interesting facts about the city and some extraordinary images of the crater.
Learn Hebrew today. Visit Mitzpe Ramon tomorrow!
Learning Hebrew is important. If you decide not to learn Hebrew, how are you going to ask for directions to get to the Ramon Crater? How are you going to interact with the locals while discovering new paths in this lovely city in the south of Israel?
Good news: Learning Hebrew is now very easy! Discover more about the live online Hebrew lessons offered by Rosen School of Hebrew, and become fluent in the language of our ancestors in the blink of an eye.
What are you waiting for? We are already here, stargazing in the middle of Mitzpe and waiting for you! Yalla!