We love Israel. We love history. But most of all, we love sharing with our readers new, surprising facts about certain people that for one reason or another changed the lives of many, and optimized the course Israel was taking, political-wise.
In the past, we’ve discussed the life of many change agents who made it into the Israeli history books, and we have given you numerous facts and hidden secrets of a wide variety of Israeli cities.
We are back to share with you some astonishing facts about another important character of Israel’s history because you asked us to. We’ve been receiving tons of messages from different locations around the world asking us for more information and surprising facts about Israeli politicians, founding fathers, and influential leaders.
That is exactly what we are going to talk about in the next few paragraphs. Remember when we talked about Golda Meir, the iron lady of the Middle East? Well, in the same kind of structure, we are going to talk about another extraordinary person.
Today, our focus is on an outstanding biochemist, who also happened to be a Zionist leader, Israeli statesman, and believe it or not, the first President of the State of Israel. Today, we are going to talk about Chaim Azriel Weizmann.
Are you ready to learn more about this influential scientist who did a lot for both Israel and the sciences in general? Here we go!
Chaim Weizmann: Biochemist, Zionist leader, and Israel’s first President
There are many things you should know about Chaim Weizmann. You might be recognizing his name either because you know your history books, or because you might have visited Rehovot in the past, and maybe you passed by the Weizmann Institute of Science; your guess is correct… It is named after him!
In the next few paragraphs, we’ll be sharing with you some incredible facts about Chaim Weizman’s life. Let yourself be surprised, just as you were when we discussed the life of Menachem Begin… do you remember?
Well, let’s cut to the chase… ladies and gentlemen, 8 amazing facts about Chaim Weizmann…
1. He was the first President of Israel. Professor Chaim Weizmann was also a scientist and statesman. That being said, he was also among the leaders who were instrumental in the establishment of the State of Israel.
2. As we mentioned above, he was a Professor. Weizmann went to the University of Manchester in 1904, where he lectured on chemistry.
3. He was very active and smart! During World War I he gave valuable assistance to the British munitions industry. Did you know that?
4. During 1949, Weizmann visited the United States and was met by crowds of record-breaking size.
5. During another international visit to the United States, he mobilized the unsurpassed amount of $23 million in contributions for the State of Israel and for the fledgling scientific research facility which now holds his name, the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.
6. Prior to politics, Weizmann developed a production of acetone from the anaerobic fermentation of maize and horse chestnuts by bacteria. If you are into scientific processes, this last one might have left you with your mouth wide open.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Learn Hebrew slang, take a virtual tour across Israel, discover the best local food and so much more
7. Blessed with great personal charm and remarkable eloquence, Weizmann became the spokesman of the Zionist cause in British political and intellectual circles.
8. He ceased to exist in November of 1952. According to his own wish, he was buried in the garden of his house; which today is part of the campus of the Weizmann Institute of Science.
Learn Hebrew. Become a leader in Israel. It is totally up to you!
Learning Hebrew can be challenging, we agree. For that exact reason we make sure that our live, online Hebrew courses are not only engaging, but also scalable, enjoyable and fun.
Learning Hebrew in the learning environment offered by the Rosen Hebrew School guarantees the best available Hebrew instructors, interesting classmates from all over the world, and the possibility to master the language of our matriarchs and patriarchs in no time.
Are you ready to start walking through this path? Are you sure you want to wait even longer to become fluent in Hebrew? Don’t you worry… Hebrew is just around the corner, now it is totally up to you!