Kezizot (Hebrew:קציצות ) also known as meatballs, are a very popular dish in Israel: during weekdays, Holidays and on Shabbat. These Kezizot are made from ground dark turkey meat, and they get great flavor from onion, garlic and parsley.
Instead of frying the meat patties, this recipe is for healthier kezizot cooked in a tomato vegetable sauce. Bon appétit!
- 1 pound (1/2 kilogram) ground dark turkey meat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2-3 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- pinch of salt
- pinch of chicken soup powder (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 6 Tbsp. tomato puree diluted in 2 cups of water
- paprika, salt, pepper according to taste
- pinch of sugar
1. Place ground meat in a mixing bowl. Add chopped onion, garlic and parsley. Add egg, bread crumbs and spices. Mix well. Refrigerate while you prepare the sauce.
2. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add water with tomato puree. Add spices. Bring to a boil.
3. Form balls from the meat mixture, and place in the sauce.
4. Turn the heat down to low. Cover and cook on low for 40 minutes