The Ancient Synagogue of Peki’in (Hebrew:בית הכנסת העתיק בפקיעין), also known as the Old Synagogue, was built according to tradition from two stones taken from the walls of the Second Temple.
It is believed that it was built around the 3rd-4th century CE, from the era of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai.
The Synagogue has stood in Peki’in for many centuries. The current structure dates from 1873.
At the beginning of the 20th century, stone tablets were discovered at the synagogue from the time of its construction, with reliefs of a menorah, gateway, Shofar and other elements. Today these tablets are displayed in the Synagogue and one can view them from up close.
Inside the synagogue, there is also a fragment of an ancient Torah scroll and stone carvings brought from Jerusalem when the Romans destroyed the city and the holy temple.
There is a very interesting story regarding the Synagogue: there is only one key and the Synagogue is usually locked. However, it can be visited with prior coordination with Margalit Zinati, who lives opposite the building. Margalit Zinati is a member of an ancient Jewish family who has lived for centuries in Peki’in, since the time of the Second Temple 2,000 years ago. Each member of the family passes the key from one generation to the other.
Join the conversation (No comments yet)