Tzimmes (In Yiddish: צִימֶס) is a traditional Ashkenazi Jewish dish in various territories made from a variety of vegetables (carrots, chickpeas, beans) often combined with dried fruits like prunes or raisins, and other root vegetables.
Tzimmes can be found in almost every Jewish Holiday, especially in Rosh Hashanah’s eve and Sabbath‘s morning. Today we will learn how to make Sweet Carrot Tzimmes. Bon appétit!
|One bag carrots|
|5-6 sweet potatoes|
|1/2 cup pitted prunes|
|1/2 cup honey|
|1 cup orange juice|
|1/2-1 teaspoon salt|
|1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
1. Boil water in a large pot.
2. Wash and peel carrots and sweet potatoes.
3. Place carrots and potatoes in boiling water. Cover pot. Let cook until tender but firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Oil shallow baking dish.
6. Drain carrots and potatoes. Place in baking dish with prunes. Mix gently.
7. Mix orange juice, honey, salt, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour over casserole.
8. Don’t top with margarine. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Stir gently and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
Join the conversation (No comments yet)