The Ghetto Fighters’ House (Hebrew: בית לוחמי הגטאות) is the first Holocaust museum in the world and also the first of its kind to be founded by Holocaust survivors.
Among the founders, were the last remaining survivors of the Warsaw Ghetto Revolt, partisans, prisoners of concentration camps, those who went into hiding using false identities and those who escaped to the USSR.
The museum is located in the Ghetto Fighters’ Kibbutz, in the Western Galilee, Israel.
Established in 1949, the museum tells the story of the Holocaust during World War II, emphasizing the bravery, spiritual triumph and the incredible ability of Holocaust survivors and the fighters of the revolt to rebuild their lives in a new country about which they had dreamed: Eretz Yisrael.
The Ghetto Fighters’ House gives evidence to the founders’ vision. Having to put behind them the grief and the horror, they chose to come to the Western Galilee in order to build a flourishing kibbutz, the Ghetto Fighters’ Kibbutz, and the museum located within the community.
In 1984 the founders of the Ghetto Fighters’ Kibbutz published “Pages of Testimony” (Dapai Edut). In this four volume literary work, there are testimonies of 96 kibbutz members talking about their childhood before World War II, the war years, their struggle for life, making Aliya and the establishment of the kibbutz.
Join the conversation (No comments yet)